Sorry... I can no longer buy that.
At best, religion is an excuse to avoid having a religious experience.
- Watch this incredible video that Gg pointed out to me on Pop Occulture yesterday. Pentacostal huckster-showmen Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland lead a packed house into getting "drunk on God." Be sure to read the comments below the video, too.This is Christianity?
- Sacred Fems has been following a story about how a Texas town got its Christian panties in a wad over last weekend's river tubing expedition by a group of sexy strippers from an Austin nightclub. City councilman Ken Valentine was aghast, saying that on Sunday the strippers "should be in church." Meanwhile, a Southern Baptist minister from a mega-church in Austin was arrested for sexual assault (swapping blow jobs) with a 15-year-old boy. Can it get worse? Pastor Carver is not the first minister from that very church to get caught doing the same thing. A few years ago Great Hills Baptist Church's youth minister was convicted of sexually molesting a minor.
- The wackos from Westboro Baptist Church are still out there protesting at veterans' funerals with their "God Hates Fags" signs.
- Faith-healer preachers are promising the sick and gullible that missing hands and eyeballs can be restored if you just believe!
- Don't think it's just Christians that have gone crazy. The Muslim fundamentalists have taken to the streets of London carrying placards threatening to behead anyone who says anything bad about Islam.
Image: Protesting Muslims in London, July, 2006
Title is a quote from Joseph Campbell.
Muslims | Christians | Religion | Westboro Baptist Church | BurningTaper.com | Burning Taper