As Freemasons, we are taught during the Fellowcraft degree to enlighten our minds by studying the Seven Arts and Sciences: Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric, Arithmetic, Geometry, Astronomy and Music.
That's a good start. Some people went a little farther than that, even. Physicists were recently asked to nominate the most beautiful experiment of all time. Here are the top ten winners.
- Double-slit electron diffraction
- Galileo's experiment on falling objects
- Millikan's oil-drop experiment
- Newton's decomposition of sunlight with a prism
- Young's light-interference experiment
- Cavendish's torsion-bar experiment
- Eratosthenes' measurement of the Earth's circumference
- Galileo's experiments with rolling balls down inclined planes
- Rutherford's discovery of the nucleus
- Foucault's pendulum
Science | Experiments | Electron Diffraction