Shrine hospitals have a 2007 budget of $721 million, and over its 85-year history have spent approximately $8.2 billion operating the hospitals, and another $1.76 billion on construction and renovation.
Apparently all is not peaches and cream in Shrine-dom, though.
Investigative reporter Sandy Frost recently published the 15th [ ! ] in a series on mismanagement of finances by Shrine organizations across the country.
- $1.2 million missing from one bingo game’s proceeds.
- $160,000 spent to settle multiple sexual harassment lawsuits.
- Over $5,000 in credit card fraud committed by a past Potentate.
- Over 30 temples reporting crime and fraud, with one missing over $300,000.
- Only 16% of crime and fraud cases prosecuted.
- $1,334,000 overspent by the Imperial Council, to be covered by each member at a rate of over $3,000 per capita.