A report today by United Press International says that Internet addiction should be grouped with extreme addictive disorders such as gambling, sex addiction and kleptomania.
According to Dr. Pinhas Dannon of Tel Aviv University's Sackler Faculty of Medicine, 10 percent of Internet surfers suffer from "Internet addiction disorder." The disorder can lead to anxiety and severe depression, the doctor said.
Internet addiction is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that results in "an urge to engage in ritualistic thoughts and behavior."
"Internet addiction is not manifesting itself as an 'urge.' It's more than that. It's a deep 'craving.' And if we don’t make the change in the way we classify Internet addiction, we won't be able to treat it in the proper way," Dannon said Friday in a media release.
Of course, this doesn't refer to us. We're all well-rounded, non-obsessed, normal, intelligent, healthy people.
No, really... I'm not hooked.
"Put the mouse down, sir, and slowly back away from the monitor."
Okay, I will....
But first, I gotta google the phrase "12 steps internet addiction."
Type, type, type — ENTER....
Yeah, here's something from About.com.
Are you addicted to the Internet? Here are some indications developed by Webaholics Anonymous that may help answer the question. Do any of these sound familiar?Internet Addiction | Burning Taper | BurningTaper.com
1. Tech Support calls "YOU" for help.
2. Someone at work tells you a joke and you respond with "LOL".
3. Three words: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
4. You have to get two phone lines just so you can call Pizza Hut.
5. You go into labor and you stop to type special e-mail to let everyone know why you're going to be away.
6. You have a vanity car tag with your screen name on it.
7. You no longer type with proper capitalization, punctuation, or complete sentences.
8. You find yourself sneaking away to the computer in the middle of the night when your spouse is asleep.
9. You turn down the lights and close the blinds so people won't know you are online again.
10. You know more about your chat friends daily routine than you do your own spouse's.
11. You find yourself lying to others about your online time and when they complain the line was busy you claim it was off the hook.
12.You have an identity crisis if someone is using a screen name close to your own.
13. You would much rather tell people that your bloodshot eyes are from partying all night than the truth (online all night).
14. Your kids are standing at your side saying "Mommy, please come cook dinner."
15. You won't work at a job that doesn't have a modem involved.
16. Your dog leaves you.
17. You have to ask what year it is.
18. You write letters like this.... "dear tom, hiyas! how r u doing well i gotta go."
19. You bring a bag lunch and cooler to computer.
20. You use online lingo in every day life (If you still have one).
21. You take a speed reading course just to keep up with the scrolling.
22. The checkout clerk at Wal-Mart asks for your ID and you give her your screen name.
23. You get up at 2 a.m. to go to the bathroom but turn on computer instead.
24. You don't even notice anymore when someone makes a typo.
25. You got your psychiatrist addicted to the Internet too and are undergoing therapy in private chat rooms instead of his office.
26. People say, "If it weren't for your super reflexes in your eyes and fingers you would have been classified as a vegetable."
27. Being called a Newbie is a major insult.
28. You double click your TV remote.
29. You go into withdrawals during dinner.
30. You stop speaking in full sentences.
31. You have to be pried from your computer by the "Jaws of Life."
32. You set your kitchen on fire while cooking because you wanted to just "check your mail" and while there "you just wanted to see who was online."
33. You write your return address on an envelope and put "@" before the street address.
34. When you visit other people's homes with computers you have to resist touching the mouse.
35. You don't resist touching their mouse.
36. Panic attack: Modem Cannot Be Detected. Make Sure the Phone Line is Connected and Try Again."
37. When others are using your computer, you pace nervously behind them.
38. You don't invite relatives that don't have email access to holiday gatherings.
39. If your spouse REALLY wants to get your attention, they send an email.
40. You know how to empty disk cache.